Guidelines for using essentail oils
- Keep essential oils out of reach of children. Do not leave a bottle which has no fixed integral dropper where a child could take off the cap and consume contents.
- Do not use directly on or near the eyes; ensure caution with compresses. Most diluted essential oils will sting the eyes; if accidents happen, flush with clean warm water; if NEAT oils get is the eye, immediately flush with cold full fat milk, or vegetable oil to dilute. If stinging is not alleviated, seek medical assistance.
- Do not, unless otherwise advised by an expert, apply neat essential oil onto the skin.
- To remove neat oil spills on hands, use cream or vegetable oil to dilute, apply soap, wash with warm water; may need to be repeated.
- Never assume that an essential oil will have the same properties as credited to the whole plant from which it is obtained.
- Ingesting any oil should only be undertaken under the supervision of a professional health advisor and never exceed the suggested amount.
- Essential oils should always be used diluted over a large body area.
- Excess (of EOs) can cause headaches, nausea and general feeling of uneasiness; drink plenty of water, get fresh air, take frequent breaks.
- Do not drive a motor vehicle (or allow client to) immediately following a relaxation treatment or after using soporific oils (e.g., clary sage)
- Regulate the frequency when using essential oils. If used daily over a two week period, give a week's grace before recommencing treatment.
- Reduce the chance of acquiring a sensitivity reaction from constant use of same oil(s) over several years by varying choices. This gives the body a break from constant use.
- If any kind of skin rash is observed when using a particular essential oil, stop using it immediately and try another oil.
When working daily with essential oils, follow these precautions:
- Use only safe essential oils in dilution, aoid contact with neat oils (by wearing gloves when bottling)
- Ensure adequate ventilation
- Take frequent breaks
- Tolerance increase with time
- Avoid transferring oils to sensitive areas (nose, face, neck)
- Vary the essential ols worked with (or diffused) daily
- Avoid sensitizing oils if hands become cracked or sore
Go back to home page Buy shea butter Buy shea butter products Buy argan oil